Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rotten apples

I bought my first Apple product (a MacBook) late 2007, I was a proud owner back then, and it was a absolutely wonderful design.

For roughly 6 months, I learned new things about Mac OS X and it was good. I was motivated to learn more about UNIX, and dug into Mac OS X development with Xcode. I had never intended that the MacBook would replace my desktop use enterily, but through a number of unforeseen events it has. However, it wasn't possible for me to entirely leave the Win32 platform behind, I'm a Win32 guy at heart, and I managed to bring that to Mac OS X with the help of VMware Fusion.

As of this date, I own, a late 20007 MacBook, a Apple Mighty Mouse and a 4G iPod nano. I've been using Apple products and Mac OS X for about 18 months now...

From this point on, it's all down hill... and I believe this Mac vs. PC debate is mostly silly, and in large, fueled by people with no knowledge of how a computer actually works. Some people will argue that they don't care about that, and they shouldn't be caring about it, because it is not in their job description to care about it and I respect that, but don't go make false accusations about things you don't understand.

The reason why I'm abandoning ship and going back to Windows, is because of Microsoft, they fix problems. I'll admit that Windows back in the day, was a troubled experience, but so was all pre-Mac OS X releases. Microsoft today, is very keen on listening and helping out, and since hardware, that runs Windows, ain't proprietary Apple branded and redicoulously expensive. Any third-party with the knowledge and experience can fix driver issues. I've had issues with OpenGL support on my late 2007 MacBook, and while there were driver updates for Windows, Apple left MacBook users like me, in the dark to rot. And that's another reason why I'm going back, Windows is an open platform, not open source or free as in freedom but accessible, by any hardware. And these graphics issues happen to have been solved by Intel, but there is no Mac OS X download, just a Windows version...

Mac OS X didn't really shine until they went POSIX and replaced their kernel with a UNIX variant. But what's distrubing about that, is that Linus Torvalds (in this Tech Talk) calls on Mac OS X to be an even worse platform for software development than Windows, and Linus knows a thing or two about UNIX. It's like Ballmer said, we're paying $500 more, for a brand! And while that's a feat in itself, I doubt Apple can keep this up for much longer. While the MacBook and Apple logo is everywhere, surprisingly few people run Mac OS X.

Right now, I'm in the process of installing Windows on my MacBook, but while downloading some required bits to format my iPod, I'm getting a disk full error. I bring up Finder, it says I have 166 GiB of disk space available... This is just one of the many problems I've experienced with Mac OS X, and it's about to go away.

HOWTO: Install Windows Vista/Server 2008 on a late 2007 MacBook3,1

First off, this is about liberating the MacBook, you'll only need some of the Boot Camp drivers and the firmware update which emulates a BIOS. Once you have this you're done with Mac OS X. You'll only need the Mac OS X installation DVD once. Derek Hatchard blogs about the specifics. You just use it to partion your hard drive with a MBR. To my knowledge no MacBook supports booting of an USB stick so you'll have to have a Windows installation DVD. The rest is simple, you can boot the Windows installation of the DVD as you would normally. My disc drive gave me a hard time but being presistant helped, after poping in and out many times it eventually completed the installation, be presistent!

I had major issues with the suttering audio and had to install a very specific driver to get around this. After manually and forcefully installing the Broadcom v5.10.38.26, "Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi Adapter" things began to work fine again. Unfortenetly, I could not find a reliable way to determine which hardware matches what driver, it looked like most MacBook users went with the Broadcom 4322AG driver so you could start with that, it worked for me.

1 comment:

johan said...

Interseting post John!

I don't agree that Apple products are ridiculously expensive. The same specced PC would cost about the same. But sure, you pay some for the finish, something that only a few PCs have (like the vaio). And like with most products now days, you also pay some for the brand (again, like the Sony vaio and many others).

The difference is that for PCs you can find really cheap no-name brands, and while it nice to have that option, I think that few people actually buy them.

But in some sense I agree with your post. OSX still has alot of flaws. Apple might actually be better at hardware then software now days. But Apple releases major system updates all the time, more often the MS I think.

Where they really shine now days though, is iPhone, iTunes and App Store.

Cheers